192.168.1.254 is a private address, and it is commonly used as a default IP address by many popular routers. You can access its address to configure the administrative settings of your router. So, in layman’s terms, 192.168.1.254 is the settings bar of your wireless connection.
In this article, we will discuss how to access this default gateway, configuring your router and other settings like resetting your password, etc.
192.168.1.254 Default Username & Password:
|No Username||No Password|
How to access & log in to 192.168.1.254?
You usually need to log in to your router admin panel when you want to change some settings in your router. You can change the name & password of your network. Users can even control the number of devices that can access your network. You can also change the settings related to your ISP. It is all covered in the steps below.
Important: Before you begin, make sure your router is connected to the ISP cable.
1. Turn the router’s power on and connect your PC to the router using a LAN cable.
2. Then, open any browser and visit 192.168.1.254. Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers are recommended.
3. Some users enter 192.168.l.254, which is the wrong address. The gateway has no alphabets in it. And, you have to avoid www too before the IP address.
4. Your router’s default login page will open.
5. Enter the username and password. You can find the credentials on the box of your router. You can check if you have it with you. In case you have lost it, you can try one of the combinations given above.
6. When you enter them correctly, you will get access to the router console.
As you can see, this is a very simple process, and you can access the default gateway anytime you want and make changes. Now, let’s move on to configuring your router.
How to configure a router after accessing 192.168.l.254?
After accessing the default gateway, you need to make a few more changes before you start using your Wi-Fi. Here are the key settings for you:
1. Changing the Wi-Fi Name and Password:
Some people always try to be creative with their Wi-Fi name, or if you want to hide your Wi-Fi, changing its name is a good option. Here are the ways you can do so:
- Select “Advance” from the options available at the top.
- On the new page, look for “Wireless” on the left column.
- A new screen will appear on the right and look for “SSID”. Type the name you want for your Wi-Fi.
- Then, click on “Apply” below.
- It will take a minute for the settings to apply
Now, to change your Wi-Fi password, follow the first four steps of the last process. Further steps are:
- On the new screen, look for Security. Type a strong password for your Wi-Fi.
- Then, click on “Apply” below.
After the settings are applied, you would be log out of your Wi-Fi. You have to reconnect using the new password.
2. Changing the Control Panel Password of your router:
People often confuse the Wi-Fi password with the default gateway (192.168.1.254) or router password. They mix them up and then find it difficult to access the router. Just to clear things, your Wi-Fi passwords help you log in to your Wi-Fi and use it. While your router password helps you change any settings in your router. We have already looked at changing the Wi-Fi password, so here are the steps for changing the router’s password:
- Go to the home page of the router console.
- Now, from the top menu, select “Advance.”
- On the new page, look for “System” on the left column. Under its sub-menu, click on Password.
- A new screen would appear where you have to enter your old and new password (twice).
- Then, click on “Apply” below.
Important: After the setting is applied, you will be log out of the account. You need to use the new password to login into your default gateway.
3. Update Router Firmware:
Updating your router to the latest Firmware is a must for security purposes. Now, TP links offer lots of different types of routers. Hence, it is important to download the correct Router Firmware. Thus, follow our steps for a quick and swift process:
- Download the latest firmware for your router using the Pix Link website. On this page, select your router model, which is available on the back of your router.
- After finishing the download, extract or unzip the file.
- Access router admin panel.
- Go to Advance >> System >> Update Firmware
- Click on “Browse” and click on the extract firmware file.
- Then, click on Upload, and the firmware upgrade procedure will begin automatically.
- Once the installation is finished, it will reboot.
Note: The downloaded firmware should match with the Hardware Version. Otherwise, it won’t upgrade, and you need to download the firmware again.
Unable to Access 192.168.1.254:
Sometimes, you might face issues while accessing the default gateway IP. It can be very frustrating as there is no direct error shown on the screen. So, here are a few possible issues and solutions for them.
Issues 1: Disconnected from the network – You don’t need an active internet connection to access the default IP gateway. However, you must be connected to the network. If not, it will not open. Hence, connect your device to the Wi-Fi network before accessing 192.168.0.1.
Issues 2: Wrong IP address – Many times, we type the wrong address in the URL bar. This is a common mistake while visiting 192.168.0.1. So, check you haven’t use O instead of zero or inserted an extra dot at the end or anywhere else. Correct it, and you would be able to access it.
Issues 3: Outdated Brower – You need an updated browser to access the default gateway. So, check if you have an updated version or not. Update it and then try to access it.
Issues 4: Firewall – Many times, your computer Firewall or antivirus restricts you from opening certain sites. Hence, open your control panel and disable the firewall for a couple of minutes and try to log in.
Forgot Username & Password
If you do not know your username & password for the login page of 192.168.1.254. You can try one of these steps:
- Take the box of your router and find the default login credentials printed on it. You can use these to access your router console.
- In case you have changed your username and password and forgotten them, you have to reset your router.
How to Reset a Router:
When you reset the router, everything will be changed to default. Then you can easily access with default details. Here are the steps:
- Find the reset button of your router.
- It is usually located at the back of your router.
- Take a paperclip or an object that is similar to that and press the reset button.
- Hold it for 15 seconds.
- All the lights of your router will go off and blink again. That means your router is now reset.
Now, access the console and configure your router again.
There is one more way to reset your router. You can reset your router from the console. You can do it by logging in to the router admin panel.
- Log in to the router
- Find the “Reset Router” option and click on it.
- In case you do not where the option is, you can find it on the pages such as “System” or “Admin”