Netgear is a California-based company that specializes in producing networking hardware. Netgear is a rare company in that it operates as a retail, commercial and service provider. The San Jose company currently operates in 25 countries. In this article, we are going to cover how to set up Netgear router.
This tutorial is guided towards amateurs who have very little idea about routers. For this reason, we list steps to accessing the default gateway, changing the Wi-Fi name, password, and other settings.
5 Best Netgear Routers:
Netgear is known for trying innovative ideas in its product and pushing the limits of performance in order to satisfy their customers. They are an award-winning company that offers routers in all variants and costs. To make your choice simple, we present to you five of the best Netgear routers:
- Netgear Nighthawk RAX80 8-Stream AX6000 Wi-Fi 6 Router
- Netgear Nighthawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band Wi-Fi Router (R8000)
- Netgear Nighthawk XR500 (Pro Gaming Router)
- Netgear Nighthawk R6700 (Smart Wi-Fi Router)
- Netgear Nighthawk X10 AD7200
How to set up a Netgear router?
Setting up a Netgear router has many processes. So, we have divided it into different sections so that it is easy for you to follow. We begin by connecting your router and powering it:
1. Router’s Place:
The first step is to find a suitable place for your router. Now, the ideal place should have a power connection and access to your internet source using an ethernet cable. If this place is at the center of the premise, then it is a bonus.
2. Power your router:
Turn on your router’s power switch and wait for a few moments for the device to load. After a while, you will see some light blinking and changing on the router. It means that your router has powered up.
3. Connecting internet source:
The next step is to connect your router to the internet source. The best choice for this connection is to plug an ethernet cable on the back of your router. We recommend that you keep a long ethernet cable for this purpose.
4. LED lights:
As soon as you plug the ethernet cable, some new color changes will happen on your router. Again, the lights are an indicator that your router has an active internet connection. If new LEDs don’t light up, try repeating this step or contact your internet service provider.
Once you are done with the basic things mentioned above, you can move to the next important step of Netgear router setup.
Access Netgear Router Set Up Page:
Each router’s provider has hosted its settings on an IP address (admin panel). You can access this panel and change settings to personalized and increase the security of your browser. The steps to access the Netgear admin panel:
- Connect your PC to the router using an ethernet cable and turn on your router.
- You can connect your device (Smartphone or PC) through a wireless connection too
- Open your default browser and visit http://www.routerlogin.net.
- Click on agree to continue
- Next, it will ask you to change the admin password. You can choose the one you can remember.
- You can choose security questions for future use. These are helpful to recover your admin panel password in case you forget.
- Click on Next and you will see the log-in window. Enter the password you set in the previous step and click on OK.
- You will see the home page of your router panel.
Configure Netgear Router:
A few more settings changes are required before you can use your Wi-Fi. These are basic changes for securing your Wi-Fi.
Changing the Wi-Fi Name and Password:
There are a lot of reasons why you should rename your Wi-Fi and changes its password. For starters, the default credential is easy to access. Also, you can be creative with the name and password and have a little fun.
Steps to change the Netgear router’s Wi-Fi name:
- On the Admin panel home page, click on “Wireless.”
- Under it, look for “Name (SSID).”
- Now, you can type in any name you wish for your Wi-Fi.
- Then, click on Apply at the top of the page.
Steps to change the Netgear router’s password name:
- Open admin panel of Netgear router and go to Wireless >> Password (Network Key)
- Choose a strong password, which is a combination of letters and numbers while being case sensitive.
- Then, click on Apply at the top of the page.
It is important to change your password for security purposes. If you do not choose a wifi password, everyone can access it without your permission.
Change Netgear Router Admin Password:
Router users usually don’t change their admin password and use the default. This is like an open invitation for anyone to mess with your Wi-Fi connection. Hence, it is important to change your admin password. Steps to do so are:
- Use your browser and log in to the admin panel.
- Select the Advanced tab and then click on “Administration.”
- Then, click on “Set Password.”
- First, type your old password and then your new password twice. Keep your Wi-Fi password and router’s password different.
- Click on “Enable Password recovery” just in case you forget the new password.
- Then, click Apply to save your settings.
Set Up Netgear Router Parental Controls:
Parental control is a great feature not only for kids but adults as well. It can be used to limit the number of hours usage or block certain websites. This comes in handy for people to avoid distraction and focus on the work at hand. Steps to enable parental control are:
We are going to use the Netgear genie app for this process, so download the app on your device.
- Click on the “Network Map” icon in the app.
- Enter your admin panel credential to log in.
- Now, click on the device you want to add parental control to and select “Details.”
- Click on “Modify” on the new tab.
- Select the Parental Control filtering level that you want on that device.
- Then, select “Apply” to save the settings.
Thus, Parental control is added to the device. You can add as many devices as you like under this feature.
Update Router Firmware of Netgear:
It is always recommended to update your devices with the latest software to avoid any potential threat. For this reason, you should update your router’s Firmware. Here are the steps to manually do so:
- Open Netgear support and enter your router’s Model Number or Product Name (At the back of your router).
- Click “Downloads” and then select the latest firmware and click download.
- Unzip or extract the downloaded file.
- Use your browser and log in to the admin panel. You can read the steps above.
- Go to Advanced >> Administration
- Now, click on Firmware Update or Router Update.
- On the new page, click on Choose file or Browse to locate the firmware.
- Then, select upload and then click “Update.”
Do not turn off your computer or router after your click on update. The router will reboot itself.
How to browse securely on a Netgear router?
VPN is much needed to keep yourself while surfing the internet. Now VPNs also protect smart devices (TV, Fridge, etc.) and other devices. Netgear router has an in-built VPN, which you can enable for secure browsing. Steps to set up VPN on a Netgear router are:
- Log in to your admin panel.
- Then, select the Advanced tab, then click on Advanced Setup.
- Click on VPN Service.
- Now, Enable the VPN Service check box.
- Click Apply to set up the in-built VPN
Now, you can add VPN configuration files to your device and browse securely.
You can also configure an external VPN on your Netgear router. Thus, you don’t need to change the whole settings on your router, as the external VPN will do so for you while securing your device.
Common Router issue and troubleshoot:
You may experience more than one router’s issue simultaneously. Thus, it can difficult to solve them; thus, if you are provided solutions for common router’s issue.
1. Slow internet or low signal strength:
This is a very common issue and occurs due to the router’s placement. Thus, try to change its position or adjusting the antennas for better coverage in the premise.
2. No internet in the router:
This is due to no internet from your source, and the router is not at fault. So, check your internet connection by connecting the ethernet to your PC. If it doesn’t work, contact customer care for further support.
3. Router keeps crashing at regular intervals:
You will have to reset your router. Look for the reset button on your router and hold it for 30 seconds. Now, your saved settings would be lost, so use the default credential to reconfigure the router.
4. Smart Device won’t connect to Wi-Fi:
First, check if your smart device and router’s firmware update. If not, then update and then reboot both devices, and it will connect then.